Wednesday, July 11, 2018

RECIPE WEDNESDAY - Quick Chicken Fried Steak


While there are some things you can buy less expensively at other box stores, these Ribeye Steaks from $Tree aren't bad.

They are very thin sliced. Some are more gristly than others but otherwise they'd be great for a steak and cheese sub. Think of them like a breakfast steak.

The gristle is found in all ribeye steaks. The thicker the cut, the less pronounced you'll deal with. And face it, if you're eating a nice thick steak, unless the leaders are really bad, you don't notice them.

One day last week a writer friend and I were discussing Chicken Fried Steak - the best you can find in Texas. Afterwards I couldn't stop thinking about it so I went scrounging the freezer. I thought I had a couple of cube steaks. No such luck, but I did find two of these and thought 'why not'?

I pounded them out to break up those leaders and cooked them up as I would have any other cut I usually use for chicken fried steak. They fried up beautifully!  And sooo very tender. Pounding them out gave me 4 steaks that I used for dinner that day, breakfast the next day followed by two additional dinners.

You'll notice I get some really good, quick meals for Bob and I from $Tree. I've heard that not all of their stores have the coolers so check yours out next time you're grocery shopping.

Whatever you choose to eat,
Enjoy the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment