Monday, March 2, 2020

WEIGH IN 3-2-20


165/172/135

I have to say, losing that pound was not a fun journey. A bit of background


To an extent I am lactose intolerant, but they come in flare-ups. 
When I was a teenager we received state commodoties. We were given #5 blocks of American cheese, large boxes of powdered milk among other things. I loved milk and went through a period about then when I drank A LOT.. sometimes consuming almost a gallon a day myself. As a result, I wound up in the hospital with what they termed a 'milk induced ulcer'. This was in the late 1970s. From that point on I had to regulate how much milk I drank. I limited myself to milk with my cereal and one carton at school. Slowly, the symptoms subsided.

Over the years, I'd have flare-ups. These came primarily with attempting to eat yogurt, when the yogurt/ health food craze began in the late 80s and early 90s. 


Milkshakes were something I rarely drank.  Then came my fluffy coffee.


I did fine for a very long time - years before flare-ups returned. The most recents began about three years ago. I recognized the symptoms but credited them to lactose intolerance. 

Here's the difference. Lactose intolerance doesn't cause burning of the stomach (as far as I've been able to find). That's the ulcer.

I haven't had issues in over a year, after giving up dairy for the most part.

Then this week I got hit in a big way. My stomach burned and became hard as a rock. Twice I went to bed with my herbal heat pack and a body pillow, begging the cat not to lay on top of me. What did I find?  

That if I left the dairy alone, I'm fine. yesterday was a mild case - because I'd eaten spinach quiche. I hate throwing out food and I thought I'd eat the piece I'd thawed out. I thought with the milk being cooked, I'd be okay. Not such a good idea.

These attacks really limit my productivity. I can't afford to have down time. I'm not stressed about what I need to get done (well, maybe with the book deadline hanging over my head). I can handle everything else. I take them one bite at a time. 

Yesterday I began a no-dairy policy. I'm eating stirfry meals as well as any protein that doesn't moo, cluck or oink. 

Thankfully, I can still have my fluffy. The mix is made with non-dairy creamer. I just can't add any Butter Pecan Boost, French Vanilla Creamer or Whipped topping. I'm okay with that as long as I'm able to get stuff done.

Sorry, I missed Air Fryer Friday last week. I had pictures on my phone. I was just focused on getting back into routine after Bob having left on Tuesday that I just spaced them until it was later in the day. If you'll check the panel to the right you'll see I'm going to be alternating weeks with some posts. Air Fryer Friday will alternate with somethng else.  This gives me time to build up a rotation of the air fryer recipes.

Is there anything you love that you've had to eliminate from your diet? Share your story.  Let's 

Enjoy the Journey -
together!

No comments:

Post a Comment