Friday, October 7, 2011

A Morning Walk

I love my wooded acreage in southcentral MO. But I truly get a feeling of 'coming home' every time I step foot in Eureka Springs Arkansas. This quaint Victorian tourist town is a true haven for artists and people who just want to live life at a slower pace. You won't find a Walmart or other chain stores here. There is a Dollar General for the little things and a McDonalds. In the sixteen years I've been coming down here, I've never been to McD's and have only been in the $General once (hey, when you're dressing up- hose are important)

I spend every 2nd weekend of October here as part of the Ozark Creative Writers conference. I always make time to get downtown and browse the shops and chat with the locals. Since starting this new journey, I decided I'd do something a little different this year. So at 6:30 a.m. I was dressed and started out to enjoy a good walk along the Historic Loop - 3.3 miles. Mind you... Eureka Springs is called a 'stair step town' for a reason. There is almost no flat walking anywhere. Regardless of which end of the trail you choose to start at, you're going down hill one way and coming back up the other... and up is STEEP and at the end of the hike.

But the exercise felt great! I enjoyed stopping to pet dogs, admire cats and chat with other early morning risers. I spotted a couple pieces of property I'd love to have... someday. I was gone 1.5 hours. I'm looking forward to it again tomorrow, but I'm only planning to walk half the treck so I don't have the steep hill at the end.

Are you walking?

No comments:

Post a Comment