Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday Musings

Happy Monday!

This week's beginning weight - 179

Before I go any further I can tell you the BL loser officially lost 9 pounds and walked away with $150. Boy, that would have been nice traveling money next weekend. Oh well. They're already talking about doing another one in November. This time we will know who the participants are and how everyone is doing. That should add to the motivation.

Saturday I went to a pow wow in Hardy AR. I hadn't been to an event in years and knew I'd have a good time. I needed a relax/ all-about-me kind of day. I walked a lot, danced some and found a hand drum. A bit smaller than the one I've been wanting but this truly was a case of 'size doesn't matter'. It has a beautiful, deep sound and I love it.

When I got dressed Saturday, I got into a size 14 jeans! Comfortably!! Yeah, it was a great way to start the day.

Yesterday, I tried a new dish. I love watching Tyler's Ultimate on the Cooking Channel. A couple of weeks ago he featured the POTATO. He made an Irish staple called Colcannon, which is mashed potatoes, cabbage and a meat. The other dish was a potato pancake. After experiencing both of these dishes, Tyler came back to the states and made a Potato Gratin. I knew I wanted to try my own version.

So last night I did a small version in a 6x6 casserole dish with only 1 bottom layer and 1 top layer of potatoes. In the middle I had fried smoked bacon, cabbage sauteed in the bacon drippings and slices of baby portabella mushrooms (they have become my favorite additive to just about anything). I'd make a horrible Italian as I don't care for Parmesan cheese. Instead, I used a grated colby/jack blend. I really think I could have done without the cheese - and the extra oil it provided.

I ate 1/4th of the casserole with a 3 oz Venison butterflied tenderloin. Very earthy meal. I'm thinking in the future I don't even need a meat with the gratin.

Not sure where my appetite is taking me today but I know I will remain on course.

Enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment