Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A WELL STOCKED FREEZER

This week, we are delving into our freezer. You know, that place where we shove leftovers or meat sales from the grocer then forget what's in there.

Ree Drummond aka Pioneer Woman has her 12 Favorite Freezer Staples. Let's see how they compare to yours and mine:


Frozen Peas - Yes, I keep these. But since I'm the only one to eat these, when I get the bags of vegies on sale I bring them home, open them up and freeze them in portions for me.

Frozen Green Beans - No... the only time I use frozein green beans is in the mixed vegetables.

Freeze Your Own - Absolutlely! I take advantage of produce sales as well as my own garden 

Frozen Corn Kernels - Again, this is one I buy in bulk then break down into smaller packages.
          Bob loves corn. However, corn is one of those items that does NOT breakdown in the colon 
          -potentially causing tears/ scar tissue within the colon. As we get older, this is one item to eat
          in moderation.

Frozen Fruit - Yes! Produce sales as well as pre-packaged. Because these will crystallize FAST in
         your freezer due to temperature changes in transport - either to the store or to your home, unless
         you're going to use this right away, frozen fruits and vegies will keep better if you put them in
         seal-a-meal type bags.

Raw Meats - When bringing raw meats home from the store, your  best bet is to get them out of the 
       store packaging as soon as you get home. Well-packaged meats will last longer and store
       packaging does not always meet this standard. Remember to LABEL!
       A) This gives you the opportunity to check the meat and make sure it's good. I've had issues 
            several times with bad meat... particularly chicken. Hang on to your receipt, check the meat
            and return to the store right away if there are issues. You don't want to begin dinner on 
            Thursday night, open your package to find the meat is spoiled. 
      B) Repackage into the Food Saver bags for longer/ safer freezer storage

Cooked Meat 'Components' - Anything you pre-cook. When I bring home hamburger from
           the store, I often brown up the meat and package out for quick dinners. 
           For chicken, if you know you want to do shredded BBQ chicken or Chicken and noodles, go
           ahead and cook it up as soon as you bring it home then package up the prepared meat for
           future meals. Take advantage of sales!
   

Sauces, Stews and soups - This is a great way to package leftovers. Ree packages hers in ziplock bags
          freezing them flat for space-saving storage. Since I use FoodSaver, I will freeze leftovers in 
           round or square pans that will fit my FoodSaver bags. After they've frozen, I dip them in hot
           water to 'unmold' then slide into the FoodSaver bags. This sucks all the air out I might not be 
           able to do with the standard ziplock - preventing freezer burn in under six months. 

          ANYTHING with a moisture content is going to create freezer burn or at the very least crystals
          in under six months - shortening your freezer life.

Casseroles - I do these the same way I do the sauces, stews and soups. 
          If I'm going to reheat in a casserole dish, I will 'freeze mold' in that dish, pop out and put in 
          FoodSaver. When it comes time to cook, I remove from the bag and pop back in it's original 
          pan. 

Bread Dough - I don't buy store bread doughs primarily. I have been known to buy Pillsbury Southern
        style biscuits for quick Biscuits and Gravy. But when it comes to bread dough, making my own 
        as needed isn't that time consuming. If I were as busy as Ree or worked outside the home, then I 
        would definitely take advantage of this option.

Dinner Rolls - See Bread Dough

Puff Pastry - I usually only use this or Filo dough during the holidays. So I buy as needed. But if                you're one to entertain periodically, this is a good staple for your freezer. Elegant desserts   
       without the time expenditure.

Pie Crusts - Again, this takes 5 minutes to make. She says she makes her own and freezes for when 
       she needs that quick pot pie crust or dessert for the church potluck... but seriously, pie crust 
       doesn't take that long. If you know you'll need something that afternoon... mix it up first thing, 
       wrap in plastic and toss in the freezer until you're ready for it later. The key is to PLAN - even
       when that 'plan' needs to be within the next 6 hours.

Aw Nuts! - yep... nuts will get stale pretty quick in the cabinet. I take mine out of the plastic, put into 
        mason jars and seal with the food saver... then in the freezer they go. Will keep seemingly 
       forever!


Next week, we'll talk about MY pantry then the last Wednesday, MY freezer. We'll also talk about why having certain things on hand can help on our weightloss journey!

Enjoy the Journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment