Wednesday, February 21, 2018

RECIPE WEDNESDAY - Mushroom and Swiss Burger

Good morning!
My plan is to start sharing more recipes. The Menu Planner is working great. I know what's up for the week and I'm spending a lot less money, allowing me to focus on a hard savings account. 

While losing weight is a journey, you can't eliminate your favorite foods. Find alternative recipes or indulge once in awhile. This recipe is an indulgence. That said, this is a healthier version of the one you'll get in a fast food place. For one... JUST HAVE THE BURGER. Don't add a large order of fries - those are the 'die' on the plate. Serve with slices of tomato or simple side salad and enjoy the luxuriousness of this Mushroom and Swiss Burger! I'm a firm believer in that moderation is the KEY to successful weight loss.

I'm really enjoying the recipes in Ree Drummond's cookbook, 'Come and Get it!'


One recipe in particular called to us. Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Gravy from her 'Under 40' chapter... meals in under 40 minutes. I did give the recipe a bit of a twist but here's the result:


These were DELICIOUS!


I started with two 1/2 pound burgers so they would be rather thick so as to be medium -rare in the center and I wanted to allow for shrinkage. I wanted them to cover the bun edge to edge. Seasoning Salt, Garlic Powder and a bit of pepper (on mine only) is all I used for seasoning. I used a cast iron skillet for the best heat radiation/ browning capabilities. You can not beat a cast iron skillet when it comes to meat or grilled cheese.


After removing the burgers from the skillet, I added a Tablespoon of butter to saute sliced baby bella mushrooms in. I followed this up with another Tablespoon of butter and 2 Tablespoons of flour. I used about 1-1/2 cup of beef broth and a 1/2 cup of red wine. Still seemed a little thin so I made a thickening of milk/ flour and added it, stirring til smooth. Then I turned the flame down to low and let everything reduce til I had a nice, thick gravy.

Ree served hers on a plate but when I saw the recipe I knew this would be the best Mushroom and Swiss burger I'd ever made. I was right.

I used Baby Swiss for Bob and I chose Provolone. After brushing the buns with butter and grilling them on another iron skillet, I placed one slice of cheese on the bottom bun, smeared about a Tablespoon of gravy, then the burger, another slice of cheese then a generous serving of the mushroom gravy.

If you are a fan of Mushroom and Swiss burgers, I recommend you give this one a try. I'm adding this recipe to our Recipe Favorites.





No comments:

Post a Comment