Wednesday, February 12, 2014

RECIPE WEDNESDAY - Pot Roast /w Stout



This week's recipe comes from Tide and Thyme

Pot Roast is one of Bob's favorite foods. Ranks right up there with  Pasta and KFC Original Recipe Chicken for him. After 30 years of marriage he has about burnt me out out pot roast. But when I saw variations on Pinterest I thought I'd give a couple of them a try. This recipe gave me an insight into what I do and do not like about Pot Roast, which I'll share in a minute.

Best thing... all done in one pan. So clean up (which Bob took care of) was a breeze. LOL
The recipe called for a STOUT beer. The closest I had was AmberBoch... which in my opinion is a good ale so I went with that. If it's good alone, it has to be good combined with something else, right? 



I did two things different. I added slices of Baby Portabella mushrooms when I added the potatoes and I did NOT remove the roast from the pan to place the potatoes on the bottom when their time came. I put them on top of the roast. As they cooked, they got this lovely caramel color:


We are also not fans of cornstarch as a thickening. I used a milk and flour mix. The milk always adds another level of flavor to a gravy. If you've not used milk and flour as a thickening, I use approx 3-4 heaping T of flour to approx. 1.5 cups of milk. If you can use whole milk, that's even better. Either use a drink shaker like for protein shakes or beat the two in a bowl to eliminate all the flour clumps then slowly pour into BOILING broth, stirring while you do so. I use a whisk. 

The gravy for this was packed with flavor and velvet smooth. Out of this #3 roast and 4 potatoes I had enough to put 1 meal in the freezer plus potatoes and gravy left over to go with steak on another night.



No comments:

Post a Comment