Monday, August 8, 2016

WEEKLY PLAN- 8/8/16


185/178/135

This is it. The moment I've waited years for... new teeth. Teeth that work and allow me to enjoy foods. Though, I'm sure that 'enjoy' part will take some time. But I'll be headed in the right direction.

Wednesday morning, I'll leave early to arrive at Wilson's Creek Battlefield in time for the opening speeches. They have a new history museum I'm looking forward to visiting. But more importantly, I hope to stand where a young drummer boy named Eddie lost both of his legs. An injury which would lead to his death at the tender age of 12 or 13.

While enlistees were suppose to be eighteen, drummers could be brought in as young as sixteen. Young Edward was a special case, taken on by the request of his mother. Her husband had been killed during a skirmish in Tennessee and she had no means to care for him. Remember, they thought this war would be quick and somewhat painless. Though in her request to the commander she did ask that 'if her boy should live', would he see to her son's safe return.

This story of Eddie the Little Drummer Boy is an entry in CIVIL WAR in Song and Story 1860-1865, published in 1889.  You can find out more about Eddie on my Ozarks Journal blog, HERE.

Next week, I'll let you know how I'm doing with my pretty new teeth.. and how many pounds I've dropped over the course of the early stages of healing.

Enjoy the Journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment