Wednesday, June 27, 2018

RECIPE WEDNESDAY - Surf n Turf


For me, the only thing better than all-you-can-eat lobster or crab legs is to combine seafood with a good steak. 

When it comes to portion sizes at a restaurant, they are way more than you need to eat at one sitting. Bob and I like to go out for a good steak and I'm slowly training him that because it's on his plate, doesn't mean he has to eat it all in one sitting. I have always cut my steak in half and packaged one portion up right away then enjoying the other half with my meal. With Bob gone, I can bring mine home to the freezer and enjoy a good steak while he's gone without having to leave home - or eat alone in a restaurant. That doesn't really bother me, I just like to have a conversation if I'm out in public. At home, I can enjoy a movie. 

That's what I did with this meal:


I started with the salad... greens cut from my own little garden. Well, to be clear, this salad bowl came pre-planted from Menards garden center with five different lettuce, a parsley and chives - for under $6! All I had to add was a diced tomato and a drizzle of blue cheese dressing.



Next, I thawed out a package of medium shrimp. I buy the $6 bag from Walmart then package them in portions using my Foodsaver. This allows me to thaw out a small amount for me when Bob is gone without disturbing the temperature of the rest of a large bag.


I put the steak in the toaster oven to reheat while I put the shrimp into a skillet with a bit of butter, then added some of the Teriyaki glaze, tossing to get all of that sweet/ tangy flavor on every bit of the shrimp quickly without overheating them. 

A quick, easy dinner for one that could have easily been a leftover for both of us by adding Bob's steak portion and another package of the shrimp. Bob would have passed on the salad, having cottage cheese instead.

How do you handle the large portions from restaurants? Do you have a favorite way of stretching that doggy bag at home?

Whatever you do, Enjoy the Journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment