Wednesday, April 11, 2018

RECIPE WEDNESDAY - Super Crock Pot Soup!


A few weeks ago I picked up a can of Beef in Gravy at Dollar General. I've been buying various types of their canned meats for storage. They are cooked, good for 1-2 meals depending on how you prepare them and have a long shelf life. While I'm not a SHTF Prepper, when I watch the news, I have to wonder and figure ANY preparation is better than none at all.


I did this meal in my 1.5 qt Rival Crock Pot. I purchased mine several years ago at Walmart and it's still going strong.

The whole concept behind this meal was to have everything in can storage for quick meals. Dollar General doesn't carry canned potatoes so I picked those up at Walmart. You can find them in any standard grocery store. I'm also going to check $ Tree next time I go and price compare.

So here are the ingredients:


That's it. I drained the vegetables and the potatoes but left the diced tomatoes juice.

I dumped everything into the crock pot, gave it a stir and set the temp on HI. Two hours later I had this:



At first, I didn't think there would be enough juice but as you can see, the cooking brought the juices out and the 1.5 qt is brim full. I barely had room to stir.


One very delicious bowl of soup. You might wonder why I added potatoes since there are potatoes in Veg-All. Usually the mixed vegetables are more carrots than anything and since I don't do crackers with my soup, I wanted the extra filler. I like potatoes. LOL


Beef in Gravy - $2.50
Diced tomatoes - .68
Diced potaotes - .68
Mixed vegies - 1.25 (maybe I should buy them at WM next time!)

COST - $5.11
SERVINGS - 4

Next time I want to add a beef gravy packet to the mix and see if I get more of a stew. That and a personal size loaf of Guiness Brown Bread should hit the spot.

Share your soup recipe! I don't think we're out of the cold yet. Even if we are, now is the time to begin preparing for fall.

Enjoy the Journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment